Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Guitar Soiree

I'd have called it the Guitar Bazaar but I guess soiree works too....

This Sunday at the Corner Hotel there is the inaugural Guitar Soiree, an event which nobody seems to know for sure what will be involved. None the less, I'm excited. I'm guessing it will be a great opportunity to gawk at a whole bunch of really amazing and rare guitars.

With that in mind, today I woke up with guitars on the brain and have been looking at a few things.

Donmo Resonator guitars
This is a dude from Adelaide who makes resonators that look like they fell straight out of the 1930's. He often uses scrap corrugated metal from old demolition sites (over 100 years old, anything new is too brittle) and rolls it flat to make his bodies. The result is called the "Rustbucket" and looks something like this.

Pretty zany but incredibly badass. I've once had the pleasure of playing one of these and it was just amazing. My friends dad owns a Dobro, a National and a Donmo and out of those 3, the Donmo was definitely my favourite.

1957 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top with Black Parts
Apparently this is an insanely rare guitar and I just fell in love with it after seeing it on Jacksons Rare Guitars. Brought back to Australia by the dude from INXS, it's not being sold POA, who knows how much that thing would go for? $150000? Gee whiz.


AND of course when looking at Gibbos, who can avoid taking a squiz at this guy.....

1959 Les Paul Standard Sunburst
Too cool, when I make my millions you'll definitely see me having a jam on one of these guys. The holy grail of electric guitars as played by Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton etc.


That there is probably the most valuable guitar in Australia. Thats a crazy thought.

Keep it unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment