Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

How to be in the baddest band on earth

Step 1

Buy this amplifier.

I found this on a routine trip to the Music Swop Shop yesterday, tucked away in one of the many nooks and/or crannies. This baby is a circa '74 Australian made Strauss "Lancer" 100 watt valve head (marked as a PA head rather than a guitar head) sitting atop 2 (!) vertical 4x12 cabinets! Madness! That thing would make some serious noise.

As for becoming the baddest band on earth, I guess once you own this amp, someone will ask you to join their band, who are already the baddest band on earth?....what am I a doctor?





Some other highlights at the Swoppy at the moment are:

Canora Flying V


Don't be put off by the non Gibbo status of this guy. I'm a big believer in the lawsuit era Japanese stuff of the early and mid 70's. This is a great example, a nicely scuffed, almost identical copy of a 67 Flying V. Relatively light, great neck, great feel AND comes with a case.

A steal for $599



Fernandes Jazzmaster

I have quite a soft spot for Jazzmasters and I have been listening to a bit of Dinosaur Jr lately, that could explain my fondness for this guy. I don't know a huge amount about Fernandes as a brand, I just know this guitar looks rad a plays super nice for a $400 guitar. Definitely not your typical Jazzmaster, this guy has a hot humbucker in the bridge and a single at the neck, none of those wacky switches and a sweet paint job.



Fender "Contemporary" Stratocaster

Yep! You read that right, this is a legit Fender, well...a Japanese Fender, but don't let that put you off. When the Japanese Fender factory opened, the early guitars they were producing were serious rivals to the ones coming out of the USA. This is from that era, circa '85 the time of the shred kings. It's got the whole floyd system with locking nut, a hot humbucker in the bridge and a metallic pink paint job. The action in set super low right now but it feels super solid and super quick. Electrik Dynamite I'm looking at you...

Desperately in need of a setup but a great deal at $899


No comments:

Post a Comment