Finally got the new Hold Steady album, Heaven is Whenever.
After hearing a couple of songs which were streamed before the albums release I wasn't really convinced of this new direction. The production is a little less live, a little more polished. Where the last few records have been pretty straight forward in terms of sounds, this time they have mixed it up quite a bit. From lush reverbs to heavier distortions, we hear a lot variety from song to song.
Songs seem generally slower, there is a slightly sombre feel about a lot of the album but I'm relieved to hear some classic rockin' Hold Steady jams too. Listening through the record as a whole, any songs which seemed to stray from the regular Hold Steady sound, seem to fit now. Stand out track for me so far, The Smidge (Track 4), ballsy and rockin, but a bit different from the Hold Steady we've all been used to.
Where the previous albums have made for the perfect summer albums, suitable for cruising with windows down in full sun and 35 degrees, this one could be more of a winter album. Our backwards Australian seasons mean the album was released as we were going into winter and so far, that suits me just fine.
A few more listens and I think I will be officially sold on this one.

No comments:
Post a Comment